Basic Fitness Principles
With the huge amount of information on different training methods out there, there is no consensus on which is the right way to go. Understanding the basic principles of training will help to understand the differences you will find among training programs.
There are two simple acronyms for remembering the main principles of an effective training program.
- Specificity - sport and individual needs
- Progression - start at your level and gradually increase
- Overload - work harder than normal
- Reversibly - train regularly
- Tedium - keep it interesting
- Frequency - how often
- Intensity - how hard
- Time - how long
- Type - what methods of training
Putting it into practice
Just about any training program will work to improve your fitness to some extent. If you perform a training program in which there is an increased load placed on the body, the body will adapt to the higher load, and you will be become stronger, faster and fitter. However, a program tailored specifically for you and your needs can maximize and accelerate the benefits to your health and fitness.